Loneliness can be defined as- Loss, separation, homesickness, alienation, not fitting in, disconnection, the need to belong, and the need for community.
"Oftine, it is when the semblance of independence is achieved that its emptiness becomes most apparent."
- Charles Eisenstein
For our next drawing assignment we are given the theme loneliness. In this Eisenstein quot, I feel that I can relate to what he is saying. Being an independent student, living in a single apartment, I feel that I become very lonely. What is there to do with no family, or friends around. clean the bathroom, do the dishes, go shopping, read, play a video game, spend the weekend watching movies on netflix. I invest so much of my time entertaining myself, but by the end of the day I am unsatisfied, I want more. So what do I do? Well, sometimes I'll call a friend, a sister, my mother, my dad, anyone who will exchange a few words with me.
This is a response to Jeremiha's question; "What about your ceramics?"
ReplyDeleteI was considering investigating this in my ceramics. by creating emotions like loneliness in drawings on the vestals. also developing the language of the pot to elude to loneliness.
this also makes me think about the nature of a ceramicist or any artist. we tend to work alone on our projects, perhaps with our earphones in. we get entranced in our own comfortable world. its not until we look outside of our work and communicate with others about our work, can we move forward and develop new ideas.
in our ceramics class last Thursday everyone was working together, not only in a physical sense, that we were talking and sharing the same space, but we were working with everyone's different pieces of a tea pot. it really brought us all together, and allowed us to explore the unknown; what wasn't comfortable. I think we should try to be more like a community instead of always being alone in our own minds.
Lovely thought! I think in general it would be nice to have an artistic community in Cortland. There is something to be said for throwing ideas off from one another (even if that person does not work in the same media) that fuels the fire and makes production rise to a frenzy. Believe it or not, we had something like that back in the day when we used to spend all night in our studios when I attended Cortland - the only annoyance only being that we were always in two buildings. That always kinda blew.
ReplyDelete