Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Statement

Several semesters ago I developed an illustrative drawing style that is both gestural and emotional. I find that I have created different characters that express different emotional awkward moments. With this I have developed a concept based on exposing human emotion through these awkward characters. With in these drawings I tend to focus on "private" moments, situations that we would not want a total stranger to witness, yet the viewer can witness. these moments are about depression, loneliness, sex, and frustration. I feel that with this dynamic the viewer can feel strange or maybe even relate to these characters. Along with this I have also been developing techniques and ideas in Ceramics. I am inspired by nature and because of this my forms are very organic and gestural. I am also focusing on the human emotion that a vestal can communicate to its viewer. I am able to do this by controlling the posture of the pot, deciding whether or not it leans, stands up straight, or even slouches. In the end I am faced with the challenge to bring these two worlds together. Throughout this Blog I hope to post pictures of my ceramic work, along with my sketchbook work, and statements describing my path on this journey.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's because I just loaded my french toast with syrup and finished a cup of coffee, but after reading that- with the black behind the white text- my eyes are hurting and my vision is spotty.

    Anyways, I think that statement was well written. Don't be shocked if I use that statement verbatim for my thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kyle, for your input. I changed the white to something less electric. I hope this is easier on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you guys really think I am not reading these? Way to try Kyle, way to try! And the red is charming Leah.

    ReplyDelete